Saturday, February 19, 2011

My life on Call

Working as a Nurse gives me the opportunity to experience a lovely thing called "On Call" twice a month...

Let me give you a run down of "On Call"
  • Anxiousness. The entire day before you wonder "am I going to get called in? Will they need me?" The entire night before you lay awake wondering "are they going to call me at 5 am in the morning? What if I don't hear my phone"
Xanax anyone??
  • Hopefulness. The entire day before you hope "just this once, please don't let them call me in," "just this once, please just let them call me in later in the day and not 5 am, if I even have to be called in at all!" The entire night before you lay in bed awake, hoping "just this once, I can feel it, they wont call me in, they have 14 nurses scheduled...just this once, this will be my turn to stay home." The entire time you are at work on call "maybe just this once, I will get my turn to be sent home early!"
  • Bitterness. In the morning at 5 am when you get that dreaded call "Ashley, we are going to need you today" you lay in bed and cry to your husband. Please don't make me go!
  • Tiredness. 4 days a week, of 12 hour shifts, non-stop on your feet, I don't care who you are, it's exhausting!
  • Prayerfulness. Dear God, please take away my anxious/hopeful/bitter/tired feelings so that I can serve these little children who need me.



No comments:

Post a Comment